Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Balsamic Zucchini Sandwich

I have actually been feeling much better today, but not 100% normal yet. I'm a little less tired too, so maybe the energy boost is starting to kick in. Not sure yet. I had a hard time not taking a nap this afternoon, so I'm obviously not that energetic yet. Hopefully that changes soon.

Breakfast this morning consisted of oatmeal with green apples, toast, and pineapple. I was supposed to have Citrus Sage Oatmeal, but I couldn't get all of the ingredients I needed for that. So, apples it was, and I needed to keep plugging away at all that diced pineapple as well. I hadn't really had plain oatmeal before, and accidentally got quick oats. They were pretty gross, but once I got the apple in there and doused it with cane sugar and soy milk it wasn't too bad. Not really all that picture-worthy though.

The Balsamic Zucchini Sandwich was my lunch for day three. I was astounded by how delicious this sandwich was. I mindlessly scarfed it in about three bites just because it was so yummy. And the really cool thing is that I am pretty sure that you could put just about anything on it and it would still be amazing. Next time I am thinking avocado... I was supposed to have a Artichoke and Tomato Salad with this, but I couldn't get all of the ingredients for that either, so watermelon it was.


Balsamic Zucchini Sandwich

The first thing you are going to want to do it prep the zucchini. I used one entire large zucchini to make the sandwich. Begin by slicing it long ways into strips. I was able to put my mandolin to work on this job (with the hand guard, of course... *nudge nudge* Rich).

Sliced Zucchini

If you've got any other veggies you want on the sandwich you can slice them up this way too. The next step is to toast your bread. I used a 12 grain bread that I like, but you could use a ciabatta roll or just about anything.


Layer One: 12 Grain Bread
 
 

The next layer is going to be whatever condiment you'd like. I used a generous smear of low-fat spinach and garlic hummus, and that was pretty much the cherry on top. I would definitely go with hummus again, but if you aren't sticking with a vegan diet mayo could be good as well. The book suggested red pepper hummus, and I bet that'd be nice too.

Layer Two: Spinach & Garlic Hummus

Next is the zucchini. What you do it saute it on medium-high with balsamic vinegar (again, I used red wine vinegar) and garlic. It only takes about a minute on each side, and you have to be careful about everything burning to the pan. I was able to do my zucchini strips in three batches, and it went so fast that I didn't have time to take any pictures. Then pile it on the bread.

Layer Three: Balsamic Sauteed Zucchini

From here you can do whatever you'd like. I was thinking about putting a roasted red pepper, but then I changed my mind. I sliced a fresh tomato to put on my sandwich, and was very glad I did. You could also do avocado, sprouts, fresh baby spinach, raw onion, and much more. I bet that even apple slices could be good.

Layer Four: Tomato

Next you are going to want to spice it up with some herbs. I used some lovely fresh basil that I got at the farmers' market. This is where you can really be imaginative with flavor profiles. Don't forget salt and pepper as well!

Layer Five: Fresh Basil

And last but not least, the final slice of bread. To be honest, I would probably do another layer of hummus next time just because it was so good.

Layer Six: Bread

There you are. This sandwich was so good that if this was put beside a BLT with real mayo and thick slices of bacon, and I only got to choose one, I honestly don't know which one I would choose. Yeah, that good. Crazy, I know.

This actually reminds me of a recipe in a cookbook that my G'ma sent me. It is from Cuisine Lite's Fresh & Fabulous magazine, and is called a "high-rise" sandwich. Their's looks pretty good too, especially since it looks like they went crazy with the cheese.

"High-Rise" Sandwich from Cuisine Lite's Fresh & Fabulous

1 comment:

  1. That sandwich looks absolutely awesome. I bet a thin sliced Granny Smith apple would be good in it. :)

    ReplyDelete