Saturday, September 1, 2012

Day 1

Blacksburg has a lovely farmers' market Saturday mornings and Wednesday evenings, and I fortunate enough to be able to go this morning and start my shopping for the week. I've got to go to Krogers still to get my dry ingredients and a few out-of-season fruits that were on the meal plan. I'm not quite sure how this is going to work out financially yet, but I'll keep you posted about that as well.

I spent $33 at the market this morning (minus the two dollars in the tip jar of a wonderfully talented guitarist) and walked away with a bunch of herbs, several onions, some rather pricey garlic, a watermelon, and bunch of other green produce. Oh, and a 40 ounce $8 package of organic, home-made sundried tomatoes. These should last a while, and I would consider them more of a treat to use in special recipes.

Here is tomorrow's menu:


Breakfast
Mango Lime Pancakes with maple syrup (recipe)
Fresh Strawberries

Lunch
Blue Corn Chip Salad (recipe)
Sliced watermelon drizzled with lime juice

Dinner
Fettuccine with Grilled Asparagus, Peas, and Lemon (recipe)
Caldo Verde (recipe)
Pears in Balsamic Glaze (recipe)


I am buying for meals throughout Wednesday, and the cool thing is that since I am cooking small portions I can use half of an ingredient I buy for a recipe later in the week. I wish the book would have provided a shopping list as well, but it isn't a big deal to figure it out on my own. Except for the beans... Every single day I think I am eating beans, which isn't bad--I'm just not used to it. In four days I am scheduled to eat 72 ounces of beans, which is roughly half a gallon or two pounds of cooked beans. Holy crap!

I am going to prep a little tonight and a lot tomorrow in order to get things started for the week. Get ready for lots and lots of photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment