Monday, September 3, 2012

Gallo Pinto

This is breakfast for day two of the 21-Day Weight Loss Kickstart. The main part of my meal is called Gallo Pinto ("Painted Rooster"), also known as Costa Rican Rice and Beans!

Costa Rican Rice and Beans, Pineapple, and Pumpernickel Toast with Apple Butter

You might notice that the meal plan today called for mango in the pineapple salad and orange jam on the toast. I couldn't find any orange flavored jam at the store, so I got this organic vegan applebutter (just apples and apple juice), which tasted wonderful. I have never had pumpernickel bread either, and it was quite good. While I was making breakfast I was thinking that if I hurried I might be able to make it to class, so I skipped the mango. Well, I didn't make it to class, and decided just to eat the pineapple by itself anyways. Argh.

The gallo pinto is completely out of my comfort zone. I have never eaten a plate of rice in beans in my whole life, and that includes dining in Latin restaurants. I guess it just seems like a cheap dish to eat when you need sustenance, and not something yummy to cook and eat because it sounds good. Also, the recipe said to put hot sauce on it, which was equally out of my comfort zone. I don't do hot sauce.

Onions, red bell pepper, garlic, salt, water, and rice simmering together. Just stir in black beans when the rice is done.

Well, it looked pretty good. It smelled really good while it was cooking. My skepticism was slowly slipping away...

Gallo Pinto

It turns out that it was actually quite tasty! After a few bites I felt like I was missing something, and then I remembered the hot sauce. This was against my better judgement as well, but I went ahead and put a few drops on to start. Suffice to say, I ended up using a lot more hot sauce. It was really, really good. Who knew!

Texas Pete is the only hot sauce that I know and like. Any others I should be trying?

As weird as this was to me, I can actually see this as a staple--for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment