Monday, September 3, 2012

Caffeine Withdrawals

I am a big coffee drinker, but I can't take it black. I like mine all doctored up and froofy--Starbucks fraps are my best friend. Unfortunately, all of those things that make coffee so delicious and appealing are made of dairy. And without these things, I'd rather not have coffee at all. Snobbish, I know.

I haven't been drinking any soda either. Technically I could drink diet soda, but since I'm doing this whole natural foods regiment, it seems logical to give chemical sugar substitutes the boot as well.

Which means that I am having some crazy caffeine withdrawals today. At first I thought I hadn't gotten enough sleep, so I was really tired. Then I started feeling terrible, so I thought I must be getting sick. But then I started getting grump and depressed, and I knew it must be something else. The good news is that it will probably pass quickly. I am determined to believe that this is a good thing, and that I'll be better off without all of the extra stimulation.

Another thing I've noticed, and it seems to be a trend, is that I get the hiccups after every bulky vegetable meal. And these aren't your normal hiccups--these are drawn out, painful, obnoxiously high-pitched and loud hiccups. Helen actually came out of her room last night to ask if I was okay. It's not a big deal, just something I've noticed. Like many people, I have a hiatal hernia which is sometimes irritated if I eat too fast. Perhaps these foods, such as kale, just have a hard time passing into the stomach and disturb my diaphragm. Who knows.

For lunch today I was supposed to have a BST (bacon, sprout, tomato) sandwich with baked sweet potato wedges, but I couldn't find any fake bacon at the store. I think it is called tempeh, and I have no idea what that is. Instead I polished off some leftovers. I had some watermelon salad, my last mango pancake, and the caldo verde that I decided not to chuck out last night. The sweet potato fries will have to wait for a little later.

Dinner should be interesting tonight, especially given that I'm not a big fan of tomato soup (though I've never had home made, I suppose). Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. You've been busy!! I bet Grandpa would like your beans and rice with HOT sauce!! :) I love reading all the posts about each new meal and how you're feeling. You are doing SO well! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking that this was a G'pa kind of meal as well!

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to see how the soup turns out! I have never been a fan either, but you are a wonderful cook so perhaps I shall steal your recipe if it is any good. Keep truckin' girly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in your blog! Haha I'm a little excited...
    Don't know if you guys all do this here but in England we just put milk in our coffee, could you add soya milk as an alternative?
    You're doing GREAT Britney! :)

    ReplyDelete