Friday, September 21, 2012

Jamaican Stir-fry

What a crazy and wonderful dish. So many new flavors! I cannot wait to make this again.

Jamaican Stir-fry

The first step to this recipe is to get bell pepper, onion, garlic, ginger, plantain, and fresh jalapeno sauteing in a pan. The less brown the plantain is, the less sweet it is--which is a good thing for a savory stir-fry. The original recipe called for half of a habanero. That is not something that I would be able to handle or enjoy, so instead I used a quarter of a jalapeno and it was just right.

Once everything is browned, the recipe says to add fresh thyme, allspice, and curry powder. I have never felt like such an imbecile in the kitchen before--as I've got this stir-fry half finished cooking I realize that I forgot the curry powder and the allspice (which are basically the two main flavors in this dish). Instead I improvised and dumped some of basically every spice in my cupboard into the pan. I ended up using: cinnamon, nutmeg, ground clove, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, and coriander. I felt certain that I had ruined it beyond palatability, but the aroma coming off of it was actually quite nice...

The last step is to pour in some almond milk and stir so that you end up with a sort of curry sauce. After I plated it and sat down at the table, I probably stared at it for about 5 minutes (between the plantain and the circus of spices going on in there it didn't seem very approachable). Turns out that it was fantastic. I was dying to have more of that precious, wonderful sauce with every bite. The plantains were extremely odd though--it was a flavor and texture I've never had before, and it was a little bewildering. Next time I make this I am going to dice the plantain instead and use a lot more other vegetables with it. I'll probably double the amount of spices and almond milk too, because the resulting curry sauce was pretty much to die for. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment